Find Relief from TMJ Disorder with Custom Mouth Guards
The temporomandibular joints (TMJs) allow the lower jaw to open and close while eating or speaking. TMJ disorder can occur when these joints become strained. The strain may be due to a number of factors, including injury, bruxism, genetics, dental misalignment, or arthritis. Our dental practice offers mouth guards for TMJ disorder. These oral appliances place the jaws in proper alignment and prevent teeth from clenching at night. One of our doctors can provide you with a custom mouth guard at our Dearborn, MI, dental practice.
Our esteemed dentists have memberships and affiliations with the American Dental Association, Michigan Dental Association, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, and International Congress of Oral Implantologists.
Am I a Candidate?
If you suffer from TMJ disorder, you may be a good candidate for a protective oral appliance. Many individuals with this condition grind or clench their teeth at night, which can lead to damaged teeth, jaw problems, jaw pain, and headaches.
Individuals with TMJ disorder often experience:
- Pain emanating from their jaw, particularly one or both of the temporomandibular joints
- Consistent pain in and around the ear
- Difficulty chewing
- A popping sensation when opening the mouth
- Worn teeth
- Discomfort while chewing
- Facial pain
- Locking jaw joints
Our doctors recommend that you seek medical attention at our Dearborn dental office if you have persistent pain in your jaw. One of our experienced physicians can diagnose and treat your symptoms. Individuals with severe cases of TMJ and significant malocclusion may require other treatments, such as orthodontics. If we believe you are in need of a specialist's attention, we can provide a referral.
Benefits of Mouth Guards
Mouth guards are a low-cost oral appliance that can prevent damage to your teeth. The benefits of mouth guards include:
- Relief: The symptoms of TMJ disorder are often debilitating. Although oral appliances are not the right treatment for every case, many patients are able to experience substantial relief from the painful symptoms of this condition without having to resort to more invasive or costly treatments.
- Affordability: Mouth guards are highly affordable. If you have concerns about the affordability of any of our treatments, our office offers CareCredit® financing.
- Easy maintenance: Mouth guards are easy to maintain and clean. Patients should clean their mouth guards with a toothbrush and toothpaste. The oral appliance should be stored in a cool, dry place using a storage case when not in use.
Mouth guards are a highly effective and affordable means of addressing the symptoms of TMJ disorder.
How Are Mouth Guards Made?
Mouth guards are made at an offsite lab to our specifications. You can receive a mouth guard over the course of two visits to our Dearborn dental practice. During your first visit, an impression of your teeth will be made. After a few weeks, your custom mouth guard will arrive at our office. One of our dentists will ensure that the mouth guard is a proper fit during your second and final visit. With proper care, mouth guards can last three to five years.
Protect Your Smile Using a Custom Mouth Guard
Mouth guards are a highly effective and affordable means of addressing the symptoms of TMJ disorder. If you wake up with jaw pain, you may be a good candidate for these protective oral appliances. To schedule your next visit to our Dearborn dental practice, please contact our office online or call (313) 261-3108.